Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I'm alive

I’m still alive. I’ve been working like a maniac both behind the camera and sending resumes in the right directions.

I’ve posted older images this month because I needed to build a 30-day delay on some freelance images. It’s not required on published images, but it’s easier to post after the 30-day exclusive period. Then, when someone requests prints or reproduction rights, I can negotiate immediately rather than saying I need to wait another "x" days.

So, the new digital images will start appearing next Monday (November images below were shot on film). The coolest part is I’m now able to publish images which didn’t run in the newspaper. Before, the images were the property of the newspaper. The images had to run in the paper or on the Web before I could post them. Now, once the 30-day period is over, the copyright returns to me. Then, I can publish the images which were cut for space, etc...

It’s hard to explain, but photography makes me happy again. :-)

Enough for now,

2 comments:

Mark M. Hancock said...

Freelance work. DMN staff images are owned by the paper and remain their property. I have display rights only.

Freelance images shot on assignment for the newspaper revert to my ownership after 30 days. I can display published images during the 30 days and can resell for publication at my discression after the 30 days.

It's easier to wait until the 30 days are done to avoid confusing potential clients.

Mark M. Hancock said...

It's standard at DMN. Each newspaper has its own contracts. PJs can market the images to all other publications based on the contracts.
PJs have an informal agreement not to sell to same-market competing publications (newspaper vs. newspaper in one city). I suppose PJs could, but assignments will abruptly stop.
So, it's best to research which outlet pays most AND gives the most assignments for similar work.
Finally, it's vital never to sign a "work for hire" contract (all rights). I haven't heard one good word about Corbis from PJs' point of view.