Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Burning ban lifted


Photos by Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise

A controlled fire burns near Highway 87 in Bridge City on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2005. Orange County lifted the burning ban to allow residents to burn off excess debris caused by Hurricane Rita.

The blue abnormality in the lower right-hand corner is an indicator of a dying hard drive. The original file is OK, but the file corrupted during processing. Consequently, I'll be spending lots of "quality time" with the Mac for the next few days to salvage information before we get a new drive.
 

4 comments:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Does that come in many colors? I recently processed some images that had a mysterious yellow spot, similar to the blue abnormality on yours. In several of the images it appears in the same location, which made me think it is camera-related. But I haven't seen it since.

Mark M. Hancock said...

It can happen in any color. Sometimes it makes really cool Dadaesque partial inversions. It's not what you want on deadline, but it's interesting. :-)

Typically, you can back up in your history to the point it appears, save, restart and it won't happen again for a while.

Marie said...

Been there. Done that. And with my 5 year old Mac G4, feel like I will be there again. I found a great deal at Staples--a Western Digital 40 gig usb/firewire portable drive w/rebate= $40. Best backup plan for me to date.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Originally posted Nov. 10, 2005.