Tuesday, January 02, 2007

iGnore iTunes

After a year of spending my $11 per month, I basically have nothing to show for it.

There are two ways to look at iTunes. The first way is optimistic. I didn't buy an entire album when I actually wanted only one song. Additionally, it costs the same amount to hear a song played on a jukebox only once. Instead, I get to hear it as many times as I want. Finally, I spend more per month on NetFlix, which has absolutely no "leave behind" value. Let's not even start to talk about cable TV prices.

Pessimistically, I can only cut a few mixed CDs and can only have the file on my computer, my laptop and one iPod. Then, I have to repurchase the song. Whereas, if I bought a CD in the first place, I could've mixed as many CDs as I wish and could move the music onto all my players (as well as any future players).

It makes more sense to purchase CDs unless it's a single I really want. Consequently, this year I'm going to buy CDs instead of iTunes singles. I may still buy some iTune singles, but I'll probably stick to albums for the most part.

Amazon also provides CD samples (scroll down the page), so it shouldn't be a huge change. Amazon also makes it easier to paste song titles and URLs here.

Due to the Amazon's compression, there's a loss of audio quality on the samples. Also, don't choose the "listen to all" option because it's seriously compressed. Frankly, you might want to listen to the samples on iTunes before you actually purchase or discard the song.

My first CD selection is the album '80s Pop Hits [box set] by various artists. (*****)

Because there are so many (sappy love) songs on this three-CD set, I'll list the songs worth adding to an MP3 player. The point of this selection is - even if you don't like some of the songs - we're getting a better deal than buying them individually on iTunes.

In the future, I'll bold the singles I think are worth a buck on iTunes. I'll also try to give reviews and critique photo covers.

Disc 1
2. Rosanna - Toto
6. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
7. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
8. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!
10. Talking In Your Sleep - The Romantics

Disc 2
1. Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
5. Stop To Love - Luther Vandross
6. Time And Tide - Basia
10. Eternal Flame - Bangles
11. Heaven - Warrant

Disc 3
1. How 'Bout Us - Champaign
5. Key Largo - Bertie Higgins
7. Leader Of The Band - Dan Fogelberg
8. Your Love - The Outfield
9. Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young
10. Footloose - Kenny Loggins
11. Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work
12. The Warrior - Scandal
13. Der Kommissar - After The Fire
14. Love My Way - The Psychedelic Furs

Enough for now,

3 comments:

picturegrl said...

"Der Kommissar" is one of my all-time favorite songs. It's always tops on my travel list. Headed to PA this week, laying over in Cincy for the first time, then Atlanta on the way home (yawn.) Thank God for iPods.

As far as the music issue, I've never really had a problem with the limitations beyond the infuriating inability to use a song in a slide show without re-ripping it as an mp3. Other than that, it can appear on as many CDs as you want as long as they're not direct copies, song for song. And if you want to do that, just re-rip them and you can still do it. Annoying? Yeah a little. It doesn't bother me though.

Mark M. Hancock said...

As I found with many CDs, there's lots of killer songs on albums that I wouldn't choose as iTunes because they don't get any air play and a 30 sec. sample doesn't do them justice. The technical issues are simply icing on the cake.

picturegrl said...

Well yeah, that's a good point. And even if you can download album art, I still miss holding it in my hands and reading liner notes.