Monday, April 12, 2004

A title is not entitled

The fastest way for me to stop reading or listening to a story is to use "entitled" in the place of "titled." I honestly change radio stations and close books. Furthermore, I won't pick up the offending book again because it's no longer worthy of my time.

In my mind, this misuse of simple, clear words by the author makes him/her ignorant at best.

Once and for all:
A being is entitled to life.
A composition is titled "Life."

No composition is entitled to anything. It can have a title, but entitlement to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is meaningless to a statue, opera, book or recording.

"The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual" states:

  • entitled Use it to mean a right to do or have something. Do not use it to mean titled.
    Right: She was entitled to the promotion.
    Right: The book was titled "Gone With the Wind."

Please save me from a future aneurysm and use the correct words. I know people say it (incorrectly) on NPR from time to time, but what do you expect for free.

Enough for now,

No comments: