Friday, August 06, 2004

DJ Drama


Mark M. Hancock / © The Dallas Morning News

Michael Jerome works the turntables at the Drama Room in Dallas on Friday, August 6, 2004. It is one of the newest and hottest clubs in the Knox-Henderson area.

I tried something slightly different with this image. I used a hand-held, front-synch flash (color corrected for tungsten light) and burned in the lights by covering the section of the lens the DJ occupied (like buring-in a print) while the shutter was open for 30 seconds. I think it'll have a better effect with some practice and better light sources. I'll work on the technique some more.

If anyone else gives this a go, make sure the subject is in front of a dark, solid background during the flash exposure to lift the subject off the background and not smear light across her/his face.

Enough for now,

2 comments:

Terence said...

I shoot many club events in Los Angeles and was wondering what you would think of some of my images.

When John Digweed (one of the biggest DJs in the world) came to town I was asked to cover the event by the promoter. Here are some of the photos:

http://www.terencepatrick.com/photos/2004/sept/digweed/

Mark Farina is a legendary house music figure and also played this past Labor Day in LA. Here are the photos from that event:

http://www.terencepatrick.com/photos/2004/sept/farina/

As a note, promoters typically like pictures of good looking women (as do a lot of people), so those tend to be in higher numbers throughout the series.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I replied via e-mail.