Friday, August 27, 2004

Every bunny loves some bunny sometime


Roger (left) and Jenn Vermeulen (right) and their pet rabbits Apollos (from left to right), Barnabas and Lydia pose for a portrait at their home in Dallas on Friday, August 27, 2004. The Vermeulens are members of the House Rabbit Society.


Mark M. Hancock / © The Dallas Morning News

I’ve been waiting for this image to run. It was a really fun shoot.

As we look at the image, the bunnies seem all nice and calm (maybe even a bit sleepy), but the reality was something akin to bunny juggling. The bunnies had no desire to be photographed. They only wanted to jump away and hide behind the sofa.

I had several pet rabbits when I was a kid. So, I know how to handle them. I also know how flighty and fragile they are. When a bunny freaks out too much, either slowly cover its eyes with your hand or gently roll it onto its back and rub its belly (they get sleepy).

I used my strobe with a big softbox in hopes of getting the rare flying bunny image, but they were straight shots to the sofa when they took off. I also tried to layer the image (the brown bunny was the most cooperative). It didn’t quite work as I hoped.

Here's how it went:
Hold the bunny in place with left hand. Quickly remove the hand from the frame. Shoot with right hand. Catch the flying bunny with left hand. Wash, rinse, repeat.

From the bunny’s point of view I’m sure they thought: Mommy. Strange furry creature crouched on the floor! Lightning! Flee! Get loose! Sleepy... Mommy? several times.

Enough for now,

2 comments:

Mark M. Hancock said...

These bunnies are so cute.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Don't ever let your Princess wife near your computer while you get coffee. She will post comments with your name.