Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Immature Green Heron


An immature Green Heron rests near the ferry crossing over the waterway between Calcasieu Lake and the Gulf of Mexico in Cameron, La. on Tuesday, July 3, 2007. Recently a pink bottlenose dolphin was spotted near the ferry. It's believed to be an albino bottlenose dolphin rather than the more rare Asian or South American pink dolphins.

Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise



This bird is actually so large and landed so close to me that I had to tilt the camera to fit it into the frame. I couldn't change from the 400mm because it would have split before I had the next lens out of my hip bag.

This is a preview of tomorrow's slide show (no, I couldn't find Pinky). Since I'm going to start posting slide shows on the blog, I needed to set down some guidelines for myself. It's more fun to break my own rules than other people's rules. ;-}

I'll attept to post slide shows on Wednesdays. It's a slow day, so folks may have more time to see them. I reserve the right to post images from a slideshow over several days as I have done for years. A photo a day is difficult enough. Acquiring 50 unique images per day is excessive.

I'm trying to learn Garage Band. In the meantime, I'll post variations of the longer loops. If y'all get sick of the same basic music loops, turn down the volume on the player. But, you're stuck when it comes to videos. :-)

5 comments:

Lumoto said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your Cameron ferry slideshow! I've been spreading the link around! You really brought life and interest to that whole scene out there!
I'm looking forward to your project here on your blog. This is my first visit here, but I'll be back. :)
Time permitting, I'll be looking at the other slideshows on the paper's site.

Sherry

(PS my blog has been so neglected I hate to sign in first providing a link to it, but maybe this will be incentive to start it up again.)

Mark M. Hancock said...

Thanks Sherry. :-)
Cameron has come a long way since the first time I drove there after Hurricane Rita.

Juan Pons said...

This is a Green Heron not an American Bittern.

-J

Mark M. Hancock said...

Juan,
It doesn't match the description at whatbird.com (where I identified it). Additionally, the bird isn't green. I sent e-mails to the National Audubon Society and The American Ornithologists Union. I'll post their answer.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Juan,
You're right. A group of biologists from the Texas Fish & Wildlife Dept. confirmed it's an immature green heron. It's youth is why it's not green.
Thanks for the correction. :-)
-- Mark