Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cameron Ferry Wildlife


Photos by Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise


I searched for the elusive (albino) pink bottlenose dolphin twice last week. The first time with Fayrouz and the second time alone. Considering it could be anywhere between Lake Charles, La. and Miami, Fla., I was satisfied to get any surfacing dolphins.

Pinky, as we named it, has been spotted several times at the Cameron Ferry in Cameron, La. The waterway between Calcasieu Lake and the Gulf of Mexico brings an assortment of fresh fish with the tides for the dolphins. Additionally, there's plenty of large ships to race. Consequently, Cameron is a favorite hang out for the playful critters.

Some folks may notice the dolphins have pink bellies. From what I've read, they should have white bellies. Like flamingos and spoonbills, this coloration is because their diet contains so many shrimp, crabs, crawfish and other crustaceans.

I know the music loop is too familiar. I'm working on other options, but this loop sounds both "natural" and "tropical." So, it goes well with the animal slide shows and videos. Work with me for a while. :-)

Please read "Albino dolphin spied around Calcasieu Lake" by Christine Rappleye.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Cool. Where did you get the music from? It does work really well with the images.

Mark M. Hancock said...

It's a Garage Band loop called Jacaranda. Because it's a loop, we can use it with our editorial stuff.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Pink bellied dolphins...

Are the local merchants selling t-shirts yet?

*big smiles*

Wonder if that would happen to me if I ate tons of shrimp... hmmm.

I'll have to find out!!!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore (the lion)

Mark M. Hancock said...

I expect albino dolphin T-shirts soon.
If you want to get a pink belly from crustaceans, you have to eat the shells too. ;-)

Unknown said...

The captioned pictures of the bottlenose dolphins from the Cameron ferry show a pink underside or belly. But are not! The now talked about ellusive PINKY as coined by locals. I live 18 miles N/N/W of this same ferry and I can tell you this Dolphin isn't slightly pink, close to pink, or just resembles pink, its pink pink pink (from birth). No amount of eating shellfish did this, its just one of those miracles of nature that makes you slow down in this hussle of life, and take the time to admire the beauty of nature. And to think some people would call this Dolphin a Freak, a Genetic mistake, or just not right, "I dispute". I say it's there to remind us to stop, slow down, and smell the Flowers. Even the PINK ones that smell fishy. Here is a link to pictures where you can see the beauty of PINKY. http://fayrouzbreakroom.blogspot.com/2007/07/pink-dolphin-in-cameron-parish-la.html

Mark M. Hancock said...

Mike,
The underbellies of the blue dolphins are indeed pink. It is from eating shellfish.

Most people read the explanation above or the newspaper story. The link you provided is to my wife's blog. She went with me on my first scouting trip to find Pinky.

Thanks for noticing my work.