Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Story of the Year for sure


Mark M. Hancock / © The Dallas Morning News

Story of the Year performs at Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie on Wednesday, September 22, 2004.

This was a tough shoot. The crowd surfers continuously dropped into the shooting pit (and fatally wounded the D2H I was using), the lights were absolutely insane and the performers were in perpetual motion. I gave up on auto everything and had to shoot fully manual. There were scanning spotlights from behind and dim lights to the front. It made auto focus and exposure useless. I walked it down to 1/60th at f/2.8 and every third frame(at 3 frames per second) had a reasonable exposure, but most had subject blur.

The band came on stage at 10:01 p.m. in Tarrant county and deadline was at 10:40 p.m. in Dallas county. There was no way to Wi-Fi the images. I had to drive it back to the main office. I was a little late, but it made the paper. Such is life at a daily newspaper.

Enough for now,

2 comments:

Mark M. Hancock said...

I'm glad it's helpful. I was happy to have anything publishable on this shoot.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I didn't have enough time for a full three songs. :-(