Saturday, May 14, 2005

Soapbox practice


Photos by Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise

(Above) Katherine Davis, 9, zooms down the raceway during a practice session for next week's Soap Box Derby on Maury Meyers Bridge in Beaumont on Saturday, May 14, 2005.

(Right) Rico Vasquez, 12, (top) prepares his car during a practice session.




(Above) James Rule (left) with YMBL releases the derby cars of Jake Warner, 10, (top) and Walt Spidle, 11, (bottom).

(Left) Raymond Cerda (left) with YMBL tells Matt Guy, 8, (right) to apply his brake after he crosses the finish line.

 

6 comments:

Caleb said...

Man, Beaumont seems like a relly cool town. Got any more staff openings? :) That soap box race looks like it was a fun event to cover. Hopefully I have as much fun covering our local high school spring football game tonight. I'm pretty sure I will.

Mark M. Hancock said...

If Jimmy Buffett wasn't from Pascagoula, Miss., I'd swear he must have grown up here. It really is like Dallas 25 years ago. It's almost surreal at times.
Since you like crawfish, this is your kind of town.
Enjoy your football. We still have two teams in the hunt for the baseball title tonight.

CarmenSisson said...

Nice series.

I don't really like crawfish, but being a Mobile girl I literally grew up hopping from shrimp boat to shrimp boat. I could really go for some fried shrimp or oysters for supper followed by a high school football game to shoot.

Instead I am going to have a tv dinner tonight and shoot a tech portrait for a military mag tomorrow.

Ah well. I've got an iPod full of Jimmy Buffett to entertain me and cure the homesickness. I miss the water though. So much. We have a river here, but there's nothing like looking across the Gulf of Mexico, hearing the seagulls calling, watching the sun set, watching the moon rise from the deck of a shrimp boat as the LORAN hums in the background and the miles slip away.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I haven't gone on a shrimp boat yet, but it's on my agenda. On my last trip to Galveston, I realized how "alive" the ocean is with it's constant movement of birds, sea animals and people.

Laurie said...

This is a great place to live. I'm glad you're enjoying it, Mark.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Originally posted May 19, 2005.