Friday, March 02, 2007

Why'd the chicken cross the road?


Photos by Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise

A chicken races a truck at the corner of the I-10 service road and Gulfway Drive in Winnie on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2007. The chicken caused a minor delay at the intersection as motorists stopped to rescue it.


Sally Lyle stands up after trying to coax a chicken from under an SUV at the corner of the I-10 service road and Gulfway Drive.


Heidi Harris takes the scared chicken to her truck after capturing it at the corner of the I-10 service road and Gulfway Drive in Winnie.

8 comments:

Phlip said...

Awwwwww . . . I guess this time I'm a sucker for a happy ending. :)

You just happened to be in Winnie or did you get called out to the scene? :P

Mark M. Hancock said...

I was heading back to Beaumont from a shoot in Fannett. I saw the chicken in the median under the I-10 bridge.
I didn't have a chicken-in-the-road photo in my archive, so I had to stop for it.
The chicken got to the grass after the top photo and I thought it would work its way into the forest.
I went back to my truck and was about to leave when I realized it was back out in the road and people were chasing it. So, I had to chase them. :-)

Phlip said...

Glad you stopped . . . those turned out nice. I especially like the top one.

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Nice ones. Now for the age-old question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Got me. I'm still trying to figure out why the chicken was there.

Unknown said...

ABC = Always Bring Camera

Nice story.

Justin said...

Leave it to me to ask an oddball question... but how do you figure out what to call the road on the side of the highway in a caption? Is it based on local dialect or what?

Then again, if you used local dialect around here it'd be the feeder road...

Mark M. Hancock said...

As far as I know, they're all called service roads or frontage roads.