Thursday, December 30, 2004

"Job cuts" illustration



I've had a few days without assignments, so I decided to self-assign an illustration for "Job cuts." I think it would be useful to illustrate anything from outsourcing to layoffs.

I made about 300 different variations for this series to make sure it would meet magazine cover formats as well as inside images or even full page background with lots of space for text.

Photo illustrations © Mark M. Hancock



I mainly concentrated on the psychological affect it has on co-workers and/or competition (particularly in white-collar professions).

The airline industry is facing cutbacks and no one seems happy about it – not even the competition. Meanwhile WTO textile quotas are about to end. It will benefit developing countries while it probably means job cuts for workers in America and the United Kingdom.



Meanwhile, workers spared from the job cuts are simply happy it wasn't them.

Yes, the hands belong to the famous blogger Fayrouz.

Enough for now,

4 comments:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Haha, I love the creativity used in this illustration. The last image would work idealy if the insurance industry began cutting back jobs ... all except for All-State Insurance.

Mark M. Hancock said...

True. It also has a more sinister appearance if you reverse the order. ;-}

Marie said...

cookie cutter jobs, wildly creative. I like.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I tried to make the cookies myself, all the dough landed in the trash after three deformed cookie people. So, I changed plans and decorated some pre-made cookies. It actually works better because the frosting makes some look like they're crying.