Friday, October 07, 2005
Photos by Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise
Mourners say their goodbyes before a memorial service at the Universal Church of the Living God in Beaumont on Friday, Oct. 7, 2005. Five family members died of carbon monoxide poisoning while the family's generator was operating inside a building as they slept after Hurricane Rita hit the area.
Rev. Curtis Johnson of Sunlight Baptist Church speaks during a memorial service at the Universal Church of the Living God in Beaumont. Three children and their aunt died on Sept. 25, 2005.
Dianna Lynn Bean, 26; Crystal Monique Farve, 12; Demarcus Marquise Bean, 9; and A'Aliyha Monae Reese, 7, died on the day they were found in the apartment. Emery Charles Reese, 9, clung to life in a Houston hospital until his birthday on Sept. 28.