Friday, February 09, 2007

Texas-sized hydrant


Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise

Fire Museum of Texas executive director Susan Lanning plants flowers around an antique fire hydrant at the museum in Beaumont on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007. The large fire hydrant in the background is the centerpiece of the Texas Firefighter Memorial in the C. A. "Pete" Shelton Plaza. The hydrant was originally constructed as the world's largest hydrant to introduce the release of Disney's 101 Dalmations. It is now the second tallest fire hydrant.

I've been trying almost two years to work the hydrant into a shot. It's across the street from our office, so I kept working it. However, because it's centered in a plaza, it's hard to show the scale of this critter. The rockin' light and a person in the right place finally made it work.

Unfortunately, I had to run to an assigned shoot or I would have worked it more.

1 comment:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

You did a nice job, regardless of the time shortage. I like the composition, but what I like most about it is the stormy looking atmosphere. There are a lot of elements resembling water in this shot.