Saturday, March 24, 2007

I got new wheels


© Mark M. Hancock / NewsEagles

Mark's new 2007 Kia Sportage makes a perfect gray card at the former Pig Stand in Beaumont on Friday, March 30, 2007.

UPDATE:
  As y'all can tell, I tested my gray card theory on the new Sportage and it made a perfect exposure. I double checked it against a meter and a palm exposure and all exposures matched. So, yes, it's Zone V and a gray card on wheels.


Fayrouz got me the coolest present today. :-)

I got Flash, my previous truck, in 2000. He was the first brand-spankin'-new auto I had ever owned. He replaced my Shutter Bug (a '68 - also a very tough critter).

Flash was honestly the best little truck I've ever owned, but he's had a hard life. He's been in three tornadoes (literally inside one), two hurricanes (again, literally inside one), at least five major floods, some forest fires and a few hunts for escaped prisoners. After more than 181,000 miles, it was time for him to go to pasture.

Good luck little fella, you'll be missed.

The new one doesn't have a name yet, but it keeps suggesting "Storm." It's 18 percent gray (Zone V). So, it should blend into the background if it ever ends up in the background of an image. I think I might even be able to use it as a gray card, but I'll need to test it a few times.

When I was finalizing the paperwork, I asked the dealer if they had a light cherry picker they could attach to it. He looked at me like I was crazy. Then, I think he remembered what I do for a living and said it would be a great idea, and I could make a fortune if I developed one.

However, I don't want to make a fortune. I want a lightweight cherry picker that won't cost a fortune. So, if one of you engineering-type folks out there would create one for under $500 that goes up at least 20 feet, let me know. :-)

Till then, I'm excited about all the places I'll go. It's like a new box of Crayons.

Some of the cool PJ-related features include a dedicated DC power outlet, the passenger seat folds into a laptop table, the back window opens separate from the door (think lightning photos without frying in a puddle), cruise control, CD player with equalizer, and a bunch of other really cool features.

They didn't offer the sun roof option they show on the Web site. Otherwise, I'd be in BIG trouble fast (it's got cruise control and stability control, so I could shoot from the top and drive with one foot).

Texan joke:
What's the last thing a Texan said before he died?
"Y'all watch this!"

The one down side is it doesn't turn as tightly as Flash. I'll adjust.

According to Fay, this is my birthday present since Bluebird (same auto, but blue) was her birthday present. Deal. :-)

Enough for now,

5 comments:

Justin DeYoung said...

Congrats on the new wheels. Only you (and other pj's) would try to use it as a grey card. Ever wonder why the tv trucks are white? Instant white balance card.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I was thinking a plain white magnetic sign might be a good addition. :-)

Tomas Stargardter said...

Pictures!! We want to see pictures Flash and the grey card on wheels!!


congrats

Mine is grey too!

Mark M. Hancock said...

I try to keep my wheels out of my images.

OK, I'll add an image to this post sometime this week.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Flash is in the background of this image.