Sunday, March 06, 2005

Digital photo mosaic process works


This is the initial test of the new photo mosaic platform on Saturday, March 5, 2005.

Photos © Mark M. Hancock / NewsEagles.com

Here's what I've been doing for the last two weeks. It's the first digital photo mosaic test. I had to recalibrate everything from 35mm to digital and work out some other mathematical crud. I must say thanks to John, my brother-in-law, for helping me with some complicated mechanical issues.

After this image, the photo mosaics should have their startling, overlapping look again. This one was a quick test to make sure my calculations were working somewhere near correct. They are. If I (or an art director with a hefty budget) wanted, I could make them line up perfectly including the 1/10th inch gap. However, I like the overlap better. I'll start introducing random variables after I get some final bugs worked out.


This image shows some of the detail of the initial test of the new photo mosaic platform on Saturday, March 5, 2005.

The huge images I'm planning will be computer killers. The actual image above (before I scaled it to post here) is 111 Meg. It was set for fine JPG, you can do the math to figure the size on a RAW file. I've included an actual pixel size image (92 ppi) to the left. Because this is shot from four feet away, I couldn't see the lint on the statue's beard. It should get really crazy when I do some heavy macro work.

Enough for now,

UPDATE: Immediately after I posted this entry, my monitor freaked out and may be dying. Everything was pink. It's better right now. I said these were computer killers.

No comments: