Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Story of the Year for sure


Mark M. Hancock / © The Dallas Morning News

Story of the Year performs at Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie on Wednesday, September 22, 2004.

This was a tough shoot. The crowd surfers continuously dropped into the shooting pit (and fatally wounded the D2H I was using), the lights were absolutely insane and the performers were in perpetual motion. I gave up on auto everything and had to shoot fully manual. There were scanning spotlights from behind and dim lights to the front. It made auto focus and exposure useless. I walked it down to 1/60th at f/2.8 and every third frame(at 3 frames per second) had a reasonable exposure, but most had subject blur.

The band came on stage at 10:01 p.m. in Tarrant county and deadline was at 10:40 p.m. in Dallas county. There was no way to Wi-Fi the images. I had to drive it back to the main office. I was a little late, but it made the paper. Such is life at a daily newspaper.

Enough for now,

4 comments:

east3rd said...

Great concert shot. It turned out very good. You've managed to transfer the band's energy to your camera, which can be difficult. Thanks also for posting details about the scene and how you manged to capture it. Info like that is helpful for folks like me!

Mark M. Hancock said...

I'm glad it's helpful. I was happy to have anything publishable on this shoot.

photosuperstar said...

..and most likely you had a 3 song limit. Talk about tough conditions, there should be a medal awarded for that. I shot the Allman Brother's Band, had a 3 song limit and had so work so fast.

You pulled a great image, well done!!

Isn't PJ fun!!

Mark M. Hancock said...

I didn't have enough time for a full three songs. :-(