Friday, July 09, 2004

Common ground starts here


Ryan Warner, 3, of Dallas swings in the playground at Kramer Elementary School in Dallas on Friday, July 09, 2004. Neighborhood parents have raised $75,000 to refurbish the playground and give neighborhood families a place for fun and exercise.

Mark M. Hancock / © The Dallas Morning News



I was writing a blog entry about some really complex theories of light when I realized some people may not know the first thing about SLR (single lens reflex) cameras. So, I’ll write some photography basics entries over the next month or so. Then we'll have common points of reference (not to mention I'll have a head start on a future photography book).

Relax, I'm not going to bury the pro readers in a barrage of basics, but I'll slip one into the mix occasionally as a first entry. Just getting to the Zone System and dynamic range is really difficult if one doesn’t know what an EV (equivalent value) is.

I suggest photographers read the exact camera manual for their own camera. I’ll address the general topics to make things easier down the line. In the meantime, see:
How light works
How cameras work
How photographic film works
How autofocus cameras work
How digital cameras work
How camera flashes work

Enough for now,
 

No comments: