Friday, October 24, 2003

PJ time relativity

Before I get too deep into blog-world, I suppose some clarification rules are in order. I will post them as they come to mind, but the first is the relativity of time to most news photographers (especially the vampire crew).

Today is today until tomorrow starts. Tomorrow may start with or without sleep depending on deadline. Yesterday is generally unimportant because we can't photograph yesterday. However, tomorrow is critical because we don't know what will happen.

If you're nodding your head in silent understanding, I'm sorry.

Therefore, if I comment about yesterday (in the blog, not in hard print) it could actually be several days ago depending on the last time I slept, or if I took a nap. It can also get a generic meaning. "Yesterday" begins to mean "sometime in recent memory since my last day off."

If you're confused, don't worry. In short, because all cutlines are in present tense, so are PJs. There's now and tomorrow, but the past has passed.

With this understanding, I'll continue my pile of information.

Yesterday (see rule one -- could have been anytime this week in real-people talk), a darling young lady approached me while I was shooting football practice to ask me about photojournalism.

I feel badly about not being as civil as I should have been at first. I was inside my head at the time and didn't expect a pleasant person on a testosterone-laden football field. I think I recovered fairly well and gave her some information to get her started along her path.

If you haven't read "What is a Photojournalist," you might want to read it now so you can understand what I'm about to say. It's old, but it still applies to anyone starting in the biz. Go ahead, I'll wait.

I'll go make another cup of coffee while you read. Be right back...

Ok, I'm back, yummy.

Since you read it, you understand the first thing I suggest to any aspiring photojournalist is another field. This isn't a job you choose to do. It chooses you. It must be a mission of sorts, or it's not worth the time, trouble and stress. There are far better ways to make the same amount of money - pizzerias are one such option. Almost everyone likes pizza. :-)


Enough for now,

No comments: