Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Shooting the family football players

Today I shot my younger nephew's football game. They lost miserably. It was painful to watch.

Nonetheless, I shot it so he and his little buddies look like they are battling for ground. As long as nobody asks them for the final score, they can hold their heads high with their photos.

For those wondering about technicals, it was a night game on a field with poor light. I shot 1600 iso on f/2.8 at 1/200 with fill flash. Yes, there will be occasional red eye, but photojournalism ethics allows red-eye elimination for sporting events. The justification is it's "possible" to eliminate red-eye in the darkroom by burning down.

In reality, if you only adjust the red saturation in PhotoShop, the remaining colors are correct and it isn't a big deal.

I still would rather light the entire stadium, but I never have time. Since I've thought about it, I might need to try it at my other nephew's game (if it doesn't rain).

I normally light entire arenas for basketball. I use directional light for boxing. And, I use a softbox for volleyball. I used two softboxes to light a rodeo earlier this year. I had outstanding results. These can be seen on my portfolio.

Enough for now,

No comments: