Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hitchin' a ride


Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise

A water snake lets a damselfly hitch a ride at Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge in Anahuac on Tuesday, May 3, 2005. The refuge will dedicate a new Butterfly and Hummingbird Habitat as well as the Willows Trail during a ceremony on Saturday, May 7 at 10 a.m.

Update: 5/10/2005

Since I like trivia (and snakes), I learned how to tell a water snake from a poisonous water moccasin (also known as a cottonmouth).

Water snakes have round pupils. Water moccasins have slitted pupils like a cat. The body of a water snake sinks into the water. The body of a water moccasin floats atop the water.

So, before anyone freaks at a snake in the water, apply these tests. If it floats and has cat's eyes, ummm... dude, you're in trouble.
 

4 comments:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Very cool shot. Someone tell the dragonfly that he's about to be dinner.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I think this guy likes sushi.

Caleb said...

Seems like you are doing more nature than news photography down there. I bet it makes for a nice change of pace though.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Ecotourism is a big deal here. Since the area is teaming with wildlife, I'm shooting a lot of them. I already have more gators, turtles and birds to post on the days when I run out of other images.