Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hitchin' a ride

Mark M. Hancock / © The Beaumont Enterprise

A water snake lets a damselfly hitch a ride at Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge in Anahuac on Tuesday, May 3, 2005. The refuge will dedicate a new Butterfly and Hummingbird Habitat as well as the Willows Trail during a ceremony on Saturday, May 7 at 10 a.m.

Update: 5/10/2005

Since I like trivia (and snakes), I learned how to tell a water snake from a poisonous water moccasin (also known as a cottonmouth).

Water snakes have round pupils. Water moccasins have slitted pupils like a cat. The body of a water snake sinks into the water. The body of a water moccasin floats atop the water.

So, before anyone freaks at a snake in the water, apply these tests. If it floats and has cat's eyes, ummm... dude, you're in trouble.


Bryon Houlgrave said...

Very cool shot. Someone tell the dragonfly that he's about to be dinner.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I think this guy likes sushi.

Caleb said...

Seems like you are doing more nature than news photography down there. I bet it makes for a nice change of pace though.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Ecotourism is a big deal here. Since the area is teaming with wildlife, I'm shooting a lot of them. I already have more gators, turtles and birds to post on the days when I run out of other images.